Here’s what people should know about reporting cash payments:

Federal law requires a person to report cash transactions of more than $10,000 to the IRS. Here are some facts about reporting these payments.

Who’s covered:

For purposes of cash payments, a “person” is defined as an individual, company, corporation, partnership, association, trust or estate.

For example:

• Dealers of jewelry, furniture, boats, aircraft, automobiles, art, rugs and antiques
• Pawnbrokers
• Attorneys
• Real estate brokers
• Insurance companies
• Travel agencies

How to report:

People report the payment by filing Form 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business.

A person can file Form 8300 electronically using the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network’s BSA E-Filing System. E-filing is free, quick and secure. Filers will receive an electronic acknowledgement of each form they file. Those who prefer to mail Form 8300 can send it to the IRS at the address listed on the form.

What’s cash:

Cash includes coins and currency of the United States or any foreign country.

For some transactions, it’s also a cashier’s check, bank draft, traveler’s check or money order with a face amount of $10,000 or less.

A person must report cash of more than $10,000 they received:

• In one lump sum
• In two or more related payments within 24 hours
• As part of a single transaction within 12 months
• As part of two or more related transactions within 12 months

When to file:

A person must file Form 8300 within 15 days after the date they received the cash.

If they receive payments toward a single transaction or two or more related transactions, they file when the total amount paid exceeds $10,000.

You might also like
1 Step 1
Get a Free Consultation


Mr. Michael D. Sullivan

Michael D. Sullivan is the founder of MD Sullivan Tax Group. He had a distinguished career with the Internal Revenue Service for 10 years. As a veteran IRS Revenue Officer / Agent, he served as an Offer in Compromise Tax Specialist and Large Dollar Case Specialist.

Next Post
Want A FAST Tax Refund? Use Direct Deposit + Michael D. Sullivan, Former IRS agent
Previous Post
Stop Receiving IRS Letters/Notices + Unfiled Taxes, Unpaid IRS Tax Debt Bills * former irs agent + Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Boca Raton, Pompano, Deerfield, Hollywood
Tags: Blog

More Similar Posts